Sunday, October 9, 2011

Genesis 15 and 16 ~ Desperate Measures


The Lord's messenger visits Hagar
I apologize for not posting yesterday. I had gotten sick. I still read my scripture and typed up my brief compilation but then my computer starting acting strangely so I placed it in safe mode and ran the anti virus. I lost last nights notes as they were on a notepad. When the computer froze I could not save anything. If you love your computer as much as I do mine, you will understand how protective I am. I must take steps to make sure it continues to function properly. We must do the same with our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health. We need to take time out to safeguard our health. If we take health for granted we lose it. Part of safeguarding our spiritual health is to spend time with God.

Abram had a vision while sleeping. In his vision the Lord spoke to him and advised him that He was his shield and would make his reward very great. Abram's response was to lament about his childlessness. He may have been wondering how he would have more children than you can count stars in the skies when he had yet to have his firstborn. God told him that he was still going to father a great nation, though there would be a period where they would be oppressed but after a time would have great wealth and victory over their opressors.

Abram was not the only one despondent over not having children, so was his wife, Sarai so she asked her husband to sleep with her maid that they may perpetuate their line.

Once her maid became pregnant, Sarai felt that her maid had lost respect for her because of her inability to become pregnant. Sarai resented Hagar became abusive to her resulting in Hagar running away. God knew her heartache and sent a messenger who told her to go back and God would bless her offspring. She was to name her infant son Ishmael. Abram was 86 at the time of the baby's birth.

Thank you for joining me today. May God richly bless you and the reading of His word.

image source

No comments:

Post a Comment